“How a Woman Can Conquer ANYTHING”
I’ve been married to Melanie, the woman of my dreams, for 40 years. I’ve observed how she quietly, but powerfully, has shown her leadership prowess.
First, she managed our home and our children in an amazing way. Secondly, and equally important, she involved herself powerfully in issues of leadership, justice, and mercy.
It's a shame that many of us men fail to realize the incredible potential in the godly leadership of a woman. Deborah, the prophetess, was a “judge” over Israel (Judges 4).
What can Deborah teach us about leadership that works in a godly woman?
1. Deborah had wise DISCERNMENT.
- She “sat under her palm tree” and judged the entire nation. God has given many women a spirit of discernment to judge situations and "cut to the chase." They see through the “fluff” and want the “facts.”
- My observation has been that women often see (and feel) things men don't see. It reminds me of my father who was colorblind. When he was up in an airplane in WWII, he could see the German camouflage covering their weapons like it was hot pink!
2. Deborah had tenacious FAITH.
- Sisera, the Canaanite general, had oppressed Israel for 20 years with his 900 iron chariots. Evidently, all of the men of Israel had given up all hope of ever defeating this horrible oppressor.
- “ENTER DEBORAH.” Deborah could see in her spirit that mighty Sisera was about to “go down.” She had no access to an army, but she stirred upa general named Barak who HAD a 10,000 man army!
- Women have the capacity to "go straight to the top" to achieve their dreams. Remember the faith of a woman who persistently went to a judge for justice day and night (Luke 18). Don’t get in the way of a woman with great faith and a great cause!
3. Deborah had immovable FOCUS.
- Deborah said to Barak, “Surely, the Lord God of Israel has commanded, GO!" She challenged him to rise up as a man. Godly women have the ability to stir up a man to do great exploits he may have never done alone.
- General Barak so depended on her faith that he would not go out to battle without her! When he persisted, she reminded him, ”The Lord will sell Sisera into the hand of a woman.”
4. Deborah had immediate ACTION.
- Men sometimes have a tendency to put off the crisis until a more convenient time! Whether it is mowing the lawn, disciplining a child or paying a bill, we search for the path of least resistance.
- When Barak hesitated, Deborah said, “Up, for THIS IS THE DAY in which the Lord has given Sisera into your hands." In other words, she said, “Sir, you have the manpower, the momentum, and the MOMENT. Do it NOW…this is the day!”
Thank God for a godly, focused, fearless woman! Sisera and his 900 chariots were totally defeated that day: “And the land had rest for forty years.”
What can Deborah teach us about leadership that works in a Godly woman?
Feeling discouraged about everything going on in America? Read last week's post on how to Take Courage click here.