They call it the “baptism by fire.” Fire is pressure. Fire is refinement. Fire transforms.
It may be happening to you. Don’t worry, join the crowd.
The last few weeks our family has been in a “fiery trial” with the health of one of our children. It appeared hopeless. Options were almost gone.
Then, suddenly, we emerged out the other end. A great breakthrough.
God oversees the “fiery trial.” He’s with you in the fire.
Here are some things to remember about this process of refinement:
1. In the highest heat and greatest pressure, God is there.
- I love the story of the three Hebrew children who were thrown into the fiery furnace. The greatest truth? The fourth man, the Son of God, who appeared at their side.
- Christ was their “insulation.” They did not even smell like smoke when they came out. Warm your hands, He’s standing right in that fire with you.
2. Never fear the fire.
- DON’T PULL THE “FIRE ALARM.” There is always a ton of smoke, chaos, and confusion that goes with fire. There is a way out and a way forward. Take the stairs, not the elevator.
- Firemen wear special suits with built-in oxygen and fireproofing. They respect fire but don’t fear fire. Calm down, walk through the fire in peace and let God guide you through.
3. Fire is accelerating your value.
- Fire can destroy but it also can purify. It changes the value of something it passes through. Gold, silver, and other precious metals gain value the more they are refined by fire.
- Character is built in the fire. Every fiery trial you successfully navigate adds to your spiritual “resume.” God allowed Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus, Peter, and Paul to be tested…and you will be no exception. He’s increasing your value.
4. Every part of your life will be tested by fire.
- Money is tested by debt. Marriage is tested by time. Patience is tested by delay. Relationships are tested by commitment. Convictions are tested by rejection. Careers are tested by endurance. Every facet has a fire.
- Job went through one gigantic “fiery trial” that touched every area of his life in one season. He not only passed the test, he came out with double for his trouble.
“Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.”
“But rejoice, insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when His glory is revealed…” (1 Pet. 4:12-13).
What? REJOICE? That’s right, rejoice. You might as well go ahead and get started rejoicing, because that is how you find your way out of the fire.
Begin to praise God, right now, right in the middle of the fire. Tell Him that you know He is there with you and is at work increasing your value.
We came through our fiery trial…and SO WILL YOU!