The most popular talent show currently is “The Voice.” While I enjoy watching it, I often think of how so many people would love to hear “God’s Voice.” As you begin this blog, take a moment and listen to a recent release called “Your Voice” by my son, Jonathan Stockstill…
As we begin a new year, wouldn’t you love to hear God’s voice? I can look back over my life and think of several times I have clearly heard God speak to me. Each time, my life was radically altered. Line up these factors so you are in a position to “listen”:
1) GOD IS SPEAKING, BUT YOU CAN'T HEAR.
- We wonder why God is not speaking to us. The problem, really, is we are not in a position to hear. Studies show that the average person is now checking their smart phone 150 times a day.
- I found that prayer and fasting “quiet” my mind and body so that my spirit can “hear.” Take a few days at the beginning of this year to pray, fast and turn off electronics.
2) YOU ARE EXPECTING GOD TO SPEAK OUT LOUD.
- I have never heard God’s voice out loud. Elijah called His voice a “still, small voice.” Though there are many in the Bible who heard His voice out loud, chances are you and I will not.
- God speaks to me through my daily Bible readings. He speaks to me through the counsel of friends. He speaks to me through an inward impression that I KNOW didn’t come from MY brain!
3) YOU ARE LISTENING TO THE WRONG VOICES.
- Our world is full of misleading voices. People often say they heard a “voice” that told them to do some violent act. That is not God’s voice, it’s the enemy’s voice!
- If you are involved in the occult or have your spiritual “antenna” up for any and every voice, put it down again! Not every voice you hear in your mind will always line up with what God has clearly revealed in the Scripture.
- Saul visited the witch at Endor trying to hear God’s voice. He died a violent death within 24 hours. [shareable]Not every voice you hear in your mind will always line up with what God has clearly revealed in the Scripture.[/shareable]
4) YOU MISS THE "WITNESS".
- Some call it a “hunch.” The Bible calls it a “witness.” It is an inward “Yes, or No.” It is a green light or red light. You don’t have to hear “words” if you have a “witness.”
- Israel had the “Urim and Thummin.” The priest could get a “Yes, or No” about any decision. “Should I marry this person?” “Should I take this job?” In prayer, sense if there is “peace” or “anxiety” about a decision. The Holy Spirit may be guiding you as clearly as He is going to.
Let God speak to you this year. Clear your schedule. Clear your mind and body. Clear your conscience. Clear your personal agendas. Open your Bible, your heart, and your relationships. “Speak, Lord, speak.”