Prayer needs a template.
As I am typing this blog, I am using a template, a pre-arranged plan.
You can always “pray without ceasing,” but in order to build a strong day-to-day prayer life, you need a template.
That is what the Lord’s Prayer is.
Over 30 years ago, I learned that rabbis taught topically. When Jesus taught about prayer in the Sermon on the Mount, He taught by topics. I’ve been praying these 5 topics all these years.
The Lord’s prayer is a “Model Prayer.” It is not simply to be repeated. It contains 5 “fingers” in the hand of God. I just taught extensively about all five of these HERE.
IF YOU WANT THE SHORT VERSION, HERE THEY ARE:
1. “Hallowed be Your Name”: (ADORATION)
• You notice that it does not start with a “request.” The multitudes surrounding God’s throne are not giving requests but giving worship.
• I love Ps. 103 where David taught us to “bless His holy name.” He lists 5 benefits (forgiveness, healing, rescue, favor, and blessings) and all of them are tied to a specific “covenant Name.”
2. “Your Kingdom Come…Your Will be Done”: (CONSECRATION)
• After a few minutes of worship, I start to “surrender.” To “consecrate” is to set apart anything (body, mind, spirit, career, finances, family, etc.) to God’s exclusive use.
• Every day, I pray for God to “MOVE THE KINGDOM FORWARD” through me. I surrender my entire life to His exclusive use like Jesus did in Gethsemane: “Not my will, but yours be done.”
3. “Give us today our daily bread”: (SUPPLICATION)
• AFTER praying both of the above, I am ready to tell God my “needs.” Worship Him first, surrender to His will, then ask whatever you need to fulfill that purpose!
• “Supplication” is to express a need to God: food, clothing, bills, transportation, etc. He provided for 3 million Israelites in the desert! He WANTS YOU to have whatever you need to move the kingdom forward. Just be sure your request is very specific, not general…or you may only get a general answer!
4. “Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors…”: (INTERCESSION)
• Daniel was a great “intercessor.” In Daniel 9, he prayed 15 verses of asking God to forgive Israel. Intercession is when you stand between an offended God and an offensive person.
• It’s almost impossible to remain bitter at someone who you are asking God to be merciful to.
5. “Lead us not into temptation, deliver us from evil”: (PROTECTION)
• Satan’s kingdom is real. The temptations we face originate in Satan, not God. Every day, I put on the “whole armor of God” to stand firmly against every attack of the enemy (Ephesians 6).
• Pray daily for your city, state, and nation. Pray against attacks upon your family, business, and health.
These are the 5 "fingers" in the hand of God. It’s the “template” Jesus taught us.
Every day this week, pray through these five things and watch God’s hand move in your behalf!